Friday, May 10, 2013

Crepes


This morning I am wondering why on earth I haven't made crepes before.  They are SO easy and have been one of my favourite indulgences when I go out for breakfast for some time now.  This morning when I woke up, I decided that I needed crepes to go with the strawberries and whip cream that I had in the fridge so I got to work.


Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour (I used Gluten Free Pantry Flour)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of whole milk (I used mostly skim with a bit of half and half)
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted


Directions:

Combine all ingredients into a blender.  Puree until mixture is smooth and has bubbles on top (20 to 30 seconds or so).  The batter will be runny.  Let batter rest at least 15 minutes.  (Apparently you can make this the day before and let it sit in an airtight container in the fridge).  Whisk before using.

Heat a large frying pan over medium.  Lightly coat with butter, and I mean lightly.  I used too much on the first one and the crepe didn't turn out well!  Add about 1/3 cup of the batter and swirl to completely cover the pan.  Cook until the crepe is golden brown.  Loosen with an offset spatula and quickly flip.  I found it easiest to lift the crepe with the spatula and then grab it with my fingertips and flip.  Everyone will find their own method that works best.  Just be careful if you try my method, the crepe will be hot!  Once both sides are golden brown, remove from the pan and repeat.


This crepe had strawberries, raspberries and blackberries with a dollop of whip cream.



This is a ham and egg crepe and it was delicious... better than I expected.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  On a baking sheet, put a single crepe with a few slices of ham in the middle.  Crack an egg on top of the ham and fold the edges of the crepe over to hold the egg in.  Add a little salt and fresh cracked pepper.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until the egg white is cooked and the yolk is as solid or runny as you like it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment